The SA Motorsport Board tasked with reviving the Adelaide 500 has named its new Chief Executive, experienced motorsport administrator Mark Warren.
After being elected to power in March, new South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas stuck to his promise and revived the South Australian Motorsport Board, and now the Chief Executive has been named.
Warren along with the SAMB that he is a part of, is responsible for the return of the Supercars Championship Hall of Fame event, the Adelaide 500. The event has been pencilled in as the final race of the season from December 1-4.
Warren was previously Chief Executive of the original South Australian Motorsport Board from 2010 to 2016.
After the demise of the SAMB, he was appointed as the inaugural general manager of The Bend Motorsport Park and was involved in the completion and launch of the multi-million-dollar motorsport facility built by Sam Shahin in Tailem Bend, an hour south-east of Adelaide.
After several years away he now returns to the re-formed board and will deliver its vision alongside the already appointed Board Chair, Andrew Daniels.
Warren is determined to bring back the Adelaide 500 better than ever before.
“I’ve been drawn back to the role because of my passion for the Adelaide 500 and a vision to make it into something even bigger than it has been in its past,” Warren expressed.
“I think the experience I bring and the major event know-how we have in South Australia will ensure we will stage an outstanding season finale over the four days in December.”
Premier Malinauskas reiterated that this latest move to get Warren on board, proves his desire to make South Australia the Motorsport capital of the nation.
“I look forward to working with Mark and the South Australian Motorsport Board to ensure our State once again becomes a leader in staging major motorsport events,” Malinauskas said.
“The return of the Adelaide 500 will give a vital boost to CBD hotels, cafes, restaurants, bars and the city economy more broadly.”
The legendary event was axed by the Liberal Government in 2020 and its revival was made an election promise by Malinauskas and the Labor government.
Andrew Daniels, SAMB Chair stated that Warren will be a valuable asset to the board.
“Mark has a rare combination of marketing and engineering expertise that has made him one of Australia’s most respected motorsport administrators, so we’re absolutely delighted that we’ve been able to lure him back to the role,” Andrews explained.
“Adelaide has a national and global reputation for major event excellence, and we know how to rise to a challenge.”
Supercars CEO Shane Howard expressed his excitement and commitment to see the event return.
“The Adelaide 500 has always been a stand-out on the Supercars calendar and we’re absolutely thrilled that we will be finishing the 2022 Repco Supercars Championship around the streets of Adelaide,” Howard said.
“We’re delighted to congratulate Mark on his new role, and we will do whatever is necessary to support him and ensure we return the Adelaide event to its very best.”
The Adelaide 500 will be held from December 1-4 and conclude the Supercars Championship for the very first time.
Aside from Supercars, Warren has also been tasked to oversee the return of other major events like the World Solar Challenge in 2023.
For more of the latest motorsport news pick up the current issue of Auto Action.